Monday, November 25, 2013

San Diego Lemonade
By Michael
SAN DIEGO, CA


Eleanor enjoying her kayak in the harbor.
I hate not knowing. It’s the one thing that makes me anxious and unsettled and unhappy and unproductive. I don’t mean lack of knowledge, I mean not knowing and being powerless to know, forced to sit by the phone and wait for others, with no avenue available to work proactively towards a conclusion, uncertainty the only known variable.

And that’s what fixing our boom in San Diego has been like.

It’s a funny thing that I adore this cruising life—what other path presents a less-certain future? Windy says my secret is my eternal optimism. I eagerly dive into any project or embark on any path to resolution only because I envision nothing but a rosy outcome. She’s the realist who sees the red flags beforehand.

Just a few days ago and 125 miles north, when I thought we’d be 72 hours in San Diego, tops, she was less assured. “In and out,” I promised. And for the first twelve hours, my naiveté held. We sailed into the harbor, found a cheap slip, and I was dismantling the boom before the last dock line was secured. The rigging shop closed at five and I knew that if I moved quickly, they would pick it up that day and start working on it the next morning.

“Three, maybe four hours is all we’ll need—one day turnaround shouldn’t be a problem.” Said the rigger on the phone before we left Oxnard.

It was almost noon the following day when the rigger hauled our boom away.

“…and for all those reasons, I want you to know that this could take longer and be more expensive than we anticipate.” The rigger told me on the dock in San Diego.

Day three dawned with me standing in the rigger’s shop, staring down at two booms and agreeing that the used replacement boom wouldn’t be a good fit for Del Viento.

“You’re better off buying a new boom. I’ll get you a definitive quote on Monday.”

It’s Monday. I have no quote. We’ve been in San Diego longer than 72 hours. It looks like we’ll be here longer still, waiting, not knowing, uncertainty the only known variable.

Sure, I’ve been able to call and leave messages with other riggers, to post long-shot, used-spar-wanted ads on Craigslist San Diego, to research online, to query my knowledgeable friends. But none of my efforts have put a boom on Del Viento. We’re still sitting in San Diego aboard our un-sailable home just scant miles from the Mexican border.

I think we’re doing the right thing, addressing this in the land-o-plenty. But I’m also thinking that I’d rather be fixing my boat in an exotic location—the way they say cruising is supposed to be. Sure, that would likely be much more difficult, but it would be different. It would be more interesting. It would have me running to and fro, all the while taking steps that seemed productive, giving me a more tactile role in the resolution. I’d be brainstorming a solution with locals and fellow cruisers. I’d be learning new Spanish. I’d be…I wouldn’t be waiting, not knowing.

But I’m making the best of things here.

Yesterday Eleanor went kayaking in the harbor. We had lunch at the San Diego Yacht Club with my friend Jeanne Socrates who is also passing through. Then we moved Del Viento to the free cruiser’s anchorage and though the sound of the jet traffic is significant, last night’s view of the sparkling city-scape stunned my daughters. On Wednesday, we’ll rent a car and drive eight hours north to meet my wife’s extended family for a Thanksgiving family reunion she was, before the broken boom, resigned to miss.

Life is unpredictable, the cruising version even more so. But this circumstance is a good reminder that we have the flexibility to change our plans, to make lemonade out of lemons—and that’s part of the beauty of this cruising life. And if uncertainty is the cost, I can live with that.

--MR

Aboard Nereida with Jeanne. We hadn't seen her since she left
Victoria for her non-stop circumnavigation and we were in Alaska
when she returned. Catching up in person has been a San Diego
bright spot. There is nothing wrong with my girls' necks. I don't
know why they're tilted like that.

Approaching San Diego in unsettled weather. Hours earlier, about
2:00 a.m., the USCG scared the daylights out of me when they
roared up alongside in the rain and pitch dark. I never saw them
until they were three feet abeam and shined massive lights on us.
They shouted to me: "Where are you headed, captain?" I shouted
back that we were en route to San Diego, my voice shaky with
adrenaline. "Call us if you see any unlit boats!" they yelled.
I gave a thumbs up and they sped off, unlit.  

6 comments:

  1. I can totally identify with your optimism, my husband and I are the same. I'll "get it done" and he anticipates all of the possible pitfalls... We usually end up somewhere in the middle but it always gets resolved. Having fun along the way and making the most of things is the Cruiser Way. I love your words... great post!
    Tammy
    http://thingswedidtoday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice message Tammy. Windy and I have the same dynamic, and it works!

      Delete
  2. san diego is wonderful, though. Balboa Park is beautiful but I found the zoo not as wonderful as the rest (skippable). Taylor guitars factory about an hour away has a good factory tour. Go to LaJolla and see the paragliders at Torrey Pines Gliderport. Better yet, spend the dollars for a tandem flight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is, I agree. We were here for six weeks last year and were so busy working on the boat we didn't get to experience much, but we did see the zoo, Balboa Park, downtown, etc. But the guitar factory is right up our alley and we had no idea. We're taking the girls there this morning thanks to your suggestion! Gracias. Michael

      Delete
  3. Well poop. :( On the bright side, BALBOA PARK! Carne asada tortas! Drive to the wilds of Alpine! La Jolla! Tea at the Coronado!
    See? Exotic is where you find it.
    Happy Thanksigivng.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the dark wood bar with the live piano and cozy chairs at the Hotel Del. Windy and I passed at least a couple nights in there before the girls were around. Maybe we can scoot over the Glorieta anchorage before we leave and show it to them. As for tea...we killed our tea budget at the Empress in Victoria, BC last year. Happy Thanksgiving to the Ceol Mors too! Best wishes, Michael

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment; we look forward to reading your feedback. Don't forget that you may also contact us directly at delviento@hotmail.com (please type DEL VIENTO in the subject line)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...